With a deep appreciation for the many unique ways that older adults can be impacted by mental health challenges, and an understanding of the value of providing treatment in an age-appropriate manner, Sonora Behavioral Health is proud to provide an intensive outpatient program (IOP) that was specifically developed to provide life-affirming assistance to men and women ages 55 and above.
Seniors Intensive Outpatient Program
The program is designed to provide beneficial care for older adults who have been experiencing a variety of issues, including but not limited to grief and loss, loneliness, and depression, as well as those who are having difficulties related to life-changing events, such as retirement, divorce, empty nest syndrome, and significant physical or mental health challenges.
Treatment in Sonoran Seniors IOP is provided Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, 9 a.m. to noon, for a total of nine treatment hours each week.
Group and Family Therapy
The primary method of treatment in the program is group therapy. Led by experienced professionals who have specific expertise in working with older adults, groups provide a wealth of benefits, not least of which is establishing a sense of connection and community among individuals who are experiencing similar challenges, but who may have previously been feeling isolated or ignored.
Group participants have the opportunity to share their thoughts and feelings, learn from the insights and experiences of others, and practice healthy interpersonal communication skills within a safe, structured, and supervised therapeutic environment. While the specific content of each group will be determined by the contributions of participants, the groups will focus on topics of interest and relevance to senior adults, and information will be presented in a manner that is most appropriate for these individuals.
In addition to participating in group therapy, individuals who are enrolled in Sonoran Seniors IOP may also have the opportunity to schedule family therapy sessions. In addition to providing a therapeutic environment in which family members can process how they have been impacted by their loved one’s struggles, family therapy can also help family members learn how to best support their loved one both during and after his or her time in the Sonoran Seniors IOP.
Working together under the guidance and supervision of a trained and experienced professional, family therapy participants can heal past rifts and learn to function as a more effective and productive unit for the benefit of all.
Discharge Planning at Sonora Behavioral Health
As an individual prepares to transition out of the Sonoran Seniors IOP, members of his or her treatment team will work with him or her to develop a thorough discharge plan. This plan, which may include professional referrals, community-based resources, and other support services, is designed to ensure that the individual is in the best possible position to maintain and build upon the progress that he or she made while in treatment with us.
Benefits of Sonoran Seniors IOP
Each individual who receives care via the Sonoran Seniors IOP will have a unique experience that can yield a wealth of personal benefits. However, certain elements of IOP are universal. The following are among the many benefits of participating in this program:
- The individual can participate in highly effective therapeutic interventions without needing to be hospitalized or removed from his or her home or community for an extended period, as would be required in a residential program.
- The individual lives at home and has the opportunity to attend work or school and meet other personal and/or professional obligations while still benefiting from a supportive therapeutic program.
- The individual has the opportunity to practice new skills in his or her personal and/or professional life, and can process those experiences in therapy and receive valuable feedback.
- Adjusting the frequency with which the individual attends programming and the length of time he or she remains in the Sonoran IOP program adds another layer of customization to his or her individualized treatment plan.
- Transportation is available for Sonoran Seniors IOP participants who live in the area.
- Sonora Behavioral Health Outpatient Services is contracted with most health insurance plans.
Learn More Today About Sonoran Seniors IOP
To learn more about the Sonoran Seniors IOP, or to get answers to any questions about our outpatient programming, our services for older adults, or any other aspect of Sonora Behavioral Health, please feel free to contact us at your convenience. A friendly and knowledgeable member of our staff is available 24/7 to take your call and help you make the most informed decisions for yourself or your loved one.